5.04.2011

cute is one of my favorite words. I use it as an adjective, heavily, to describe anything and everything I deem thusly. However, I think sometimes it's approprite to reflect and analyze why we say the things we do. It's a good exercise. That, and it was brought to my attention that the way I use the word doesn't make sense. 


So, I'm trying to derive my usage of the word cute in a systematic, less stream-of-conscious manner.


american english dictionary definition of cute: 1. Attractive in a pretty or endearing way. informal sexually attractive. 2. informal affectedly or superficially clever.


urban dictionary definition of cute: 1.A girl who is lovely and dreamy and cuddly and shy and beautiful and awwww *druels* 2.1) used to describe little kids doing funny things 
2) someone that is attrative in an innocent way
3) used to describe someone or an act that's sweet, nice
4) something that you just want to squeeze, or keep
5) used to refer to something little, or related to being young
6) someone doing something silly, special
7) the baby is so cute when she dances in her mom's high heels 
9) it was so cute when johnny gave me a stuffed ewok and lolly pops from disney land!
10) that little puppy is so cute that i want to have it near me in my pocket because it makes me happy.
11) that pink, sparkly fairy princess dress was very cute!
12) it was cute when he told me that he had a secret, and then told me that he loved me in my ear
oxford english dictionary definition of cute: 1. Acute, clever, keen-witted, sharp, shrewd. 2. (orig. U.S. colloq. and Schoolboy slang.) Used of things in same way as cunning Now in general colloq. use, applied to people as well as things, with the sense ‘attractive, pretty, charming’; also, ‘attractive in a mannered way’.
SO..... with these definitions in mind, I had a pretty good idea of where I was deriving my usage of the word cute. I definately don't use it to describe anything clever or cunning, which was a distinct description given by both the OED and the AED. If you look at Urban dictionary however, many of the ways in which cute were used were ways I have used the word. I then realized other important words to focus on were attractive and endearing. Especially in regards to mannerisms, rather than physical appearance necessarily. 
attractive- pleasing or appealing to the senses.
endearing- cause to be loved or to be liked.
SO.... I've been using the word to describe things that are endearing, attractive, but in an innocent and socially humble way. To be defined as "cute" by me is a very good thing.  It means your mannors and behaviors exibit something that has a beautiful, attractive quality all its own. Also, they have to have a general air of helplessness.
(side note) It's really hard to say how the word jumped from being clever, and cunning, to attractive and endearing.... hmmmmm. INTERESTING.

this is cute.








No comments:

Post a Comment