6.05.2011

The Art of Perspective

You can look at music through different lenses, and the perspective you gain is almost infinate, due to the countless combinations, filters, speeds, attitudes you view it in. This is cool for those who see great potential for oppertunity.
Lately, I've been liking the idea of these two, huge warring perspectives that dominate the interpretation and enjoyment of music. There's the lyricists, who only view music through the message derived from the words, where sound is minor and is only used to compliment the message of the vocals. Then there are those who only live for the sound, techique, articulation of the instruments where a true message and pleasure can only come from. Words are just a formality for the week minded and contemporary who can't see past the clearly spoken song. Of course, most of us have our convictions, as far as music goes, somewhere inbetween these warring perspectives.
But if you go to the extreme sides, especially the side you're less comfortable with, you get to see some pretty cool stuff with music.
 I, personally am comfortable with lyrics. I can analyze them all day. I Meditate on them all day. I Apply there principles to my life. I derive inspiration from them. I soothe my soul with them. I convey my emotions through them.
So, you go to the other side. Quit looking at lyrics. Focus on one instrument at a time. Meditate on it. What it's saying. What its doing. Then, listen to them together. How they articulate. What principles they show, what inspiration they give you, what it does to your soul, what emotions you feel. Then listen to music that doesn't have lyrics at all. Or genres you don't even like. Get as far removed from your personal tastes and attitudes towards music and just look at the song not sung, but played.
What for? I don't know.


But.... I think I'm going to devote June to analysis through these various perspectives. We'll see though, because I really just could talk about music forever, and blogging doesn't do my thoughts, music, or you any justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment