9.18.2011

Stuck Asleep

I have temporary sleep paralysis.
Sleeping has always been an interesting process for me, and this is one of the more physically frightening components to its cycle. Here's what it is. Basically your body releases chemicals that temporarily paralyze it in order for all the muscles n stuff to rest, as well as to  keep you from physically harming yourself in the unconscious state. For whatever reason, some people will wake up before the natural chemicals have had time to wear off. Your brain anticipates how long you're going to sleep, and as soon as you hit the REM cycle, it kind of kicks in the heavy stuff to keep you safe while your out. It doesn't plan on you waking up... so you're mind jolts wide awake, unexpected, and your body is still. You can't move, you panic.
I guess their are different categories of sleep paralysis aswell, depending on how your mind interprets the situation. Basically one type of mental interpretation is worse than the other. I'm a little unclear as to the exact distinctions, but I think I have the worse one.

Pause. I'm no expert, so I'm explaining this biological stuff to the best of my understanding.

I'm doing a little backtracking.
 I have always been a very active and heavy dreamer. I have morbid and frightening dreams on a regular basis. As a kid, I was terrified of unconsciousness. I entered a new dark world of utter vulnerability, nightmares not my own, and monsters that became real. Sleeping always involved dreaming, dreams involved terror, therefore I avoided sleep.
Simultaneously, I had the problem of sleep walking. It basically was like looking and functioning in our tangible world through the dream lense. Everything is wrong, even basic physics, but you're able to talk coherantly to the conscious, and waking up involves your mind closing one window to make the other clearer.
So, I've always had problems with sleep. Over time, I grew accustomed to my nightmares, recognized it as part of my sleep process and completely detached from reality. And apart from occasional sick fevers, I didn't sleep walk.
But in highschool I started taking naps to cope with my new social and academic environment that required less sleep. It doesn't always happen with naps, but usually it does. Or, if I would wake up and go back to sleep in more. I got that deep REM sleep my body longed for, but at the wrong time. I would be carrying on some unhappy dream, and it wasn't that I wanted out, someone in my dream always told me that I was dreaming. Some evil creature would mock me, tell me that I was dreaming. It would be making fun of the fact that I was unconscious and helpless and it or my mind would find me back in my room. Often, I found my brain struggling back into my room, climbing through my sheets, yelling for my mom to wake me up, her coming over to wake me up but I'm not awake, me turning off my alarm but I'm not awake, me reading a text message after I just woke up but I'm not awake, me struggling out of the grips of someones hands pulling me back into unconscious. It is a huge struggle, and rather than lying dormant, waiting for the lights to turn on while I'm motionless, my brain pretends to solve the problem while dreaming until I'm awake, even though I'm aware I'm dreaming. That's really really bad and pretty scarry. But the thing is, even though these are dreamlike thoughts, I'm fighting to wake my body up the whole time, but it won't.
This is exhausting. I often feel that I get so deep in sleep that I won't wake back up. If I don't fight hard enough to wake up, who knows how long I'll be out. It's astounding how long, elaborate, imagined and physical my dreams are when I enter into proper REM. Sometimes I wonder, when I feel myself, after already being very asleep, being pulled "deeper into the dream" what would happen if I rode it rather than fought it. These are the abstract fears and questions I ponder about my sleep disorder.
In the mean time. I don't take naps. I sleep at regular hours, for a proper length. I try to be less stressed. I pray and ask God to clear my mind before I go to bed. You're not supposed to lie supine in bed either, which I can definately try to avoid.
The mind is a powerful thing nontheless. Especially in the unconscious state.

No comments:

Post a Comment