5.15.2013

Haunted Souls Know


What was written on your face when she walked out that door?
I know its not fair of me to ask and your pain has grown old
I think about that look and long for your face
If I was her I would have looked back and saved it 
Seen the pain in your soul through your eyes
I would never ask it of you, for I will see it one day soon
It will disgust you, but I still must say 
That the look of sorrow and despair 
Is what sends me to the grave of love

The first man, my slender man
Looked at me that way when I was fresh and young
I hadn’t been the one to break his heart
But when we were done, before my time had come
He opened up his broken heart for me to see
He couldn’t be helped
But I wanted him so desparately 
I had found my love grew strong in the wakes of another’s hollow heart

And those hot summer nights
With my Egyptian King
He was more of a petty young boy with a vacant soul
I used all my magic to make his sorrow come from me
I wanted him to despair from my adoration
Like the foolish, plain woman who ruined him before I came
“Love doesn’t work like that”
The enchantress in my heart swallowed her flames and left him
Far away, forgotten, before he could even taste the ashes 

And the others- countless casualties
Of my livid desire to perfect the art of ruining a man
Not through seduction, not through manipulation, not through chastity
But through the unholy flames of persuasion
The darkest magic that is purified with each broken man’s blood
Their sorrow disgusted me- it was mine to keep
But none was worthy of adorning my unhappy crown

What are you looking for, my Shaman, my shapeshifter in the night?
You are a nomad roaming the desolate battlefields of broken men
It wouldn’t take long for me to take you captive in this dark realm I own
I couldn’t keep you for long- that’s not your way
But you could stay- I’ll make a sacrifice for a safe passage
I dare you- take me captive-imprison my soul
We cannot change the past
No matter how powerful our magic arts might be
But you could stay here with me 
And make this dark night last forever

No comments:

Post a Comment