1.22.2011

Illegal Pets

I want a pet crow. For years they have fascinated me.

Granted, birds are overwhelmingly stupid and can be annoying but comparatively, crows are intelligent.  Certain species have been known to use bread crumbs for bait-fishing. Others have been known to use and create their own tools for better attaining food- such as makeshift knives out of twigs to cut grass. Crows in Australia have learned how to eat the toxic Cane Toad by flipping the cane toad on its back and violently stabbing the throat where the skin is thinner, allowing the crow to access the non-toxic innards; their long beaks ensure that all of the innards can be removed. Some will drop nuts into streets, wait for cars to smash them, then retrieve the crushed remnants.

Then, they're scary. Once, there was over like 50 in my back yard. They were screaming wildly, flying around and grouping in my trees. I'm sure it was something completely habitual, but their behavior strikes me as unearthly; its almost like a bad omen descends upon you when encountering these birds. I distinctly remember walking to class one day, and I passed under a bare tree. The place was completely silent, no living creature in my view, except for this one crow on the branch of that tree. He stared at me, tilted his head sideways, as I stared back. As if to answer my inner question, he crowed at me, loudly, and continued to track me with his beady eyes as I made my way to class. shivers. chills.
They are so beautiful. Glossy black feathers, sharp beak, poised claws, and intelligent eyes- these birds are dark and gorgeous, exotic compared to the typical wildlife that surrounds New Mexico.

My only issue, is its completely illegal to own one as a pet. It probably is also cruelty to animals, but part of me enjoys taming the beast. Caging the hellish creature that omens death and plagues the nightmares of mankind. To trick the trickster, and own something as beautiful and fascinating as a full moon. I want one so bad. So here is what I intend to do. 1. keep up research. 2. learn how to raise wild birds. 3 pray a crow will come my way. 4 not get caught. ONE DAY! <3

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever considered the Magpie? They are within the 'Crow family' and are even able to learn to speak. This could be a legal alternative to your dark jailbird. Just an idea.....

    ReplyDelete