3.14.2011

Sometimes Said Sometimes Written

Writing is in my blood, it can't be helped, avoided, only embraced. The simple fact is, however, that the magical season of spring (minus the sneezing, coughing, itching, and dying) awakens something very deep and full of inspiration inside me, making my spirit and writing come alive. My poetry tends to be more beautiful, my stories more imaginative, my dreams more detached from reality, and my thoughts more musical. Basically, I've witnessed this change has taken place, which means it must be spring.

Anyways, what I'm excited to share with you all is the fact that there are a few story concepts I've had and developed over the past year, mainly last spring, and I'm ready to re-visit them with new inspiration and fervor. I don't know how far I'll get, but they are some pretty dope plots if I do say so myself. I guess now that I've caught your interest, would you like to read just a little, little bit from one of my larger projects? I don't want to tell you all my story ideas, because I don't know how many will materialize, but its all for the sake of fun. Also I'm really trying to restrain myself from posting poems, I've written about five awesome ones since I've last posted, but I'm keeping them to myself ;)

If this sparks interest, you can ask me what it's about, or see if you can guess the main idea. Its really short excerpt though. HERE WE GO



II
            I became an adolescent and with that came a general desire to venture out of our house. I lived a sheltered life, but when it came time for grandfather’s summoning from God, my father went to help and I grew curious of life beyond the cedar perimeter of my life. I was younger then. Hirakesh was sweet, but wicked. We were best friends and I envied her. So, I decided to leave my home. It was as simple as that, and primarily innocent considering the idea I had of adventure. I did have an adventure, so it seemed, with my best friend. But a journey starting with curiosity for the darkness quickly leads to insurmountable danger and unfathomable evil.
            We were in Hirakesh’s tiger tent; her largest and most comfortable one. Her father had been a sea merchant and accumulated much wealth through his rare animal furs that many people used to line cloaks. So we took our time with various perfumes and cleaning basins. I didn’t overdress, however. I chose a sleek, soft, shiny, hooded black cloak that draped beautifully across my body. There we both were; staring into her basin of water. We were about to attend the ceremony and I was afraid. But this is what I wanted, and now, I was finally getting it: a chance to see what went on past my fence.
“Hand me the black, Melekhah.”
“Hold on, I’m just about finished. There, take it.”
“That looks better; more black, doesn’t it?”
“Yes. You’re very dark Hirakesh.”
“And beautiful.”
“Yes.”
“Watch the water. See our reflections? Our eyes and lips and hair- do you think it is accurate to our likeness? Or does the water distort? And if so, is the distortion enhancing or disfiguring? Perhaps the reflection is the truth, and the reflected the distorted…”
“What is the logic in these questions Hira?”
“Watch. Dip your finger in the water. See the ripples move our image and change the face of ourselves we see? That is what we must do. I have realized, in order to become one with the dark.”
“We? Well, I’m not sure if I want to become one with it.”
“Well, put on more black then. Your light is still shining and piercing me, and if others notice, you will be taken for good.”
“By whom?”
“Their leader. Even I would not like that. It is better to follow willingly than be dragged away. So there, that should be enough. Put this cloak on too. You’ll slip in with the other shadows.”
“And what did you mean- ‘your light’?”
“Well, its obvious you’re pure. And you have this holy innocence about you- they’ll know right away you’re uncorrupt. You’re still for God aren’t you?”
“Well I never talk to him, that’s all my dad and grandfather. But I make my own decisions.”
“Well good. You’ll better understand who I am. It will be fun to change you into a darker girl, so to speak. I have grown accustomed to it, and I love being wicked. Sweet, poor Meka. We are only covering your light. It won’t hurt. So come, we are ready, you must come with me.”
“I’m ready.”
“There you are then. See? You can be very beautiful in the dark. The shadows will take to you. Do not worry, I will not let them take you away.”
“Well, let us run then!”
            Needless to say, my nerves were scattered everywhere that night. I was worried, scared, and very excited. A giddy closed-lipped smile covered my face. I was plunging into the dark, soon, and I couldn’t explain the enthusiasm that prospect brought me. I was growing nervous when we ran. It was dark and I felt the large blades of grass and the gingko leaves cut my skin. Hot blood stripped down my smooth arm and dripped into the moist, black, earth. My blood gushes out very fast, and will not cease to flow unless I apply a large amount of pressure. We hadn’t time then; I decided to let it spill. I was alright- I knew it would eventually clot. Lightheaded and giddy, I ran violently after Hirakesh to the ceremony.
“Are you alright?”
“Yes, I am good, it’s just a scratch.”
“Its still bleeding! They can smell your blood; they’ll eat you alive! This is terrible, if they taste your blood, they’ll know.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“You’ll find out soon enough. But here, um, take this, wipe up your blood. Ok good. Now, put the mud on it. That should hold them off. But just to make sure, we’ll sit here for a time to let it clot.”
“No, don’t worry. I’ll be fine, we should probably leave. It’s going to be too dart to see, and we might not find our way.”
“We will wait. I will guide you through the dark. I know it better than you. And you’re still bleeding! We can’t be so negligent! I can’t afford to loose you- your father would kill me! You’re never allowed out when the sun leaves.”
“”Its fine, trust me. He’s  been far too busy with grandfather to notice.” Just then we heard a rustle in the bushes.
“Listen Meka, do you hear?-Footsteps.”

No comments:

Post a Comment